ICT Mumbai
 
Department of Physics
Skip Navigation Links
Quick Links
 
 

Welcome to Physics Department


Department of Physics at the ICT has the distinction of being one of the earliest Departments in the Institute. It was started as Optics Section in 1935 which subsequently changed as Physics Section, Applied Physics Division and now Department of Physics. The Department of Physics has been involved in a broad spectrum of activities in addition to undergraduate and post graduate physics teaching dealing with Polymer Physics, Laser Physics and Colour Physics. The Department has made significant contributions in the area of Chemical Physics and also as one of the participating Departments of Centre of Advanced Studies in Textiles Fibres, Dyes and Polymers. The Department offers physics courses at  both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Last year, the department has successfully started a Masters' program in physics (MSc.), having special emphasis on material science. 

There are eight faculty members which include two adjunct professors, three associate professors, and three assistant professors (1 DST-inspire fellow, and 1 UGC-FRP fellow). Several distinguished people from industry and other institutes as are associated with the department as visiting faculty members for giving quality input to the education and training imparted to the students. The faculty members are actively engaged in both teaching as well as research activities. Faculty members have research projects from DST, BRNS and UGC (see Ongoing Projects). The research students and faculty members have actively participated in National and International Seminars / workshops and presented their papers.
 
Under the TEQIP program, the Department has constructed a seminar room with state of the art facilities. Also one of the PG laboratories has been renovated under CAS program. Also under the same TEQIP program faculty members have been able to visit National and International Academic Centers. The department has an endowment trust, under which, eminent scientists in polymer physics are invited to deliver a series of lectures. As a part of Platinum Jubilee celebrations, a workshop was arranged for B.Sc./ M.Sc. Physics college students for career opportunities and it had very good response. These activities have helped in strengthening the research and academic atmosphere in the department.
 

 
     
  History of the Department  
     
 
It started as Optics Section in 1935 with the appointment of Dr. Vaidya. Subsequently it became Physics Section, Applied Physics Division and now as Department of Physics in the autonomous Institute of Chemical Technology.
 
The year 1964, marked the year of special importance with the sanction of Center of Advanced Studies (CAS) by UGC in Physics Section along with other sections. The Advanced center building came up in this Grant and since then Physics Section/Deptt. is situated in CAS building. Many analytical instruments were procured in CAS and with individual grants. During early nineties two ALIS (Academic Link Interchange Scheme) programs funded by UGC- British council were sanctioned in two research areas:
  • 1) Lasers and Applications (PI-AVD, total faculty visits: 6 (India); 5 (British)
  • 2) Unconventional sources of Energy (PI-NVB, total faculty visits: 2 (India); 1 (British).

Recently departmental labs have been renovated and additional instruments have been procured under TEQIP program.
News & Announcement
Department of Physics, ICT, Mumbai
Designed and Developed by MSG